No. H.K/UA/08/018
31st December 2018

                                                                                                              URGENT ACTION
                                                                               ARREST OF HUSSEIN BY MI IN TALODI, SUDAN
On 12th December 2018, Hussein Salaheldin Maali was arrested by MI in Talodi. The reason for his arrest was displaying a photo of an officer of SPLA on his Facebook account. His whereabouts are unknown and he is suspected to be under torture. Mr. Hussein Salaheldin Maali Mabloul, known by his nickname of Ali Sakouna is 55 years old, self[1]employed resident of Talodi and a former policeman. On 12th December 2018, three armed soldiers in SAF uniform came on a vehicle from Talodi Military Intelligence (MI) and arrested Mr. Hussein/ Ali Sakouna from his house at Talodi. They took him to the military base and since then, he has been isolated and nobody is allowed to visit him. This raised fear that he could be subjected to torture. The reason behind his arrest is a photo of a South Sudan soldier on his Facebook account. HUDO got reliable information that, the arrest of Hussein is in relation to a personal dispute with two soldiers. HUDO is very concerned about the situation of civilians in SK State and calls upon;
· Sudan government to disclose the whereabouts of Mr. Hussein Salaheldin (Ali Sakouna) and to allow family and lawyers to visit him.
· Sudan government to end the state of emergency in conflict areas which enables MI to carry out arrests at will.
· The military authority in Talodi to immediately release Mr. Hussein or to transfer him to the courts of law if there is a genuine case against him.
· The military authority in Talodi to immediately conduct genuine investigations about the cause of Mr. Hussein’s arrest and to make the findings public. HUDO Centre More information Mr. Hussein Salaheldin Maali (Ali Sakouna) is a retired policeman. After his retirement, he went to South Sudan where he was worked as self-employed. Early this year (2018) he came back to his home town in order to settle. Immediately after his arrival, he was arrested and interrogated by MI for one week about his stay in South Sudan and then released.