COURT TRIAL OF AL-SANADRA CASE (UPDATE – 16)
The court session was held on 28th March 2018 at Khartoum North court before Justice/ Abdeen Hamid Dhahi. Apart from the prosecutor, all parties were present. During this session, three defending witnesses delivered their testimonies. The next court session is scheduled for 11th April 2018.
Summary of the court session
On 28th March 2018, the session started at 11:00 AM (Sudan local time) at Khartoum North court before Justice/ Abdeen Hamid Dhahi and all parties were present apart from the prosecutor. Three (3) witnesses from the defendants’ side delivered their testimonies and they were questioned by the two panels of lawyers and the Judge. The summary of their testimonies is given below:
The 1st defending witness: Gaidoum Moalla Daifalla (Member of South Kordufan State’s Parliament)
- On Friday 2nd September 2016, I attended the locality meeting and defendants Hamid Almanzol and Abakar Fadelmowla were present but, I do not know where they were coming from or where they went after.
- I was a member of PDF before joining the State Parliament.
- Al-Sanadra has no rebel camp.
The 2nd defending witness: Altoum Al-Tayeb Hammad
- I’m 55 years old, farmer and a resident of Shorkaila village.
- On Thursday 1st September 2016, the defendant/ Ahmed Al-Tayeb came to my house with my son on motorbikes and they left at about 08:00 am the next day.
- Until today, I did not know that Ahmed Al-Tayeb was among the accused in Al-Sanadra case.
The 3rd defending witness: Abdelrahman Ibrahim Almahdi
- I’m 65 years old, farmer and a resident of Al-Abbasiya town.
- I’m the father of the 8th defendant/ Alhadi.
- Alhadi was at home up to 11:00 am when he went out.
- Alhadi is a member of PDF and had a gun at home.
- I have attended about two sessions in this court case.
At the end of the session, the judge announced that, this was the last session he is presiding over in this case because he was promoted to Justice Court of Appeal. He adjourned court to 11th April 2018 at 11:00 AM (Sudan local time) that, the session will be a procedural one of handling the case file to the new judge (who is not yet nominated) in attendance of both panels of lawyers.
- The accusing panel challenged the testimony of the third (3rd) defendants’ witness because he is the father of the eighth (8th) defendant but, the judge told them the decision will be taken at the stage of evaluating the testimonies.
- The military’s legal consultant/ Amir Ghalib was retired from the military service in March 2018 but he is still on the defendants penal
HUDO urges all the concerned, especially:
- The Sudan court to conduct the trial fairly
- The activists, defenders and supporters to keep on attending court sessions
- The diplomatic missions and embassies to observe the court sessions
- The Sudan and international media to give full coverage for the court