SUDAN AUTHORITIES GAVE A NOTICE TO DEMOLISH CHURCH
On 1st Agust 2016, the land authorities in Khartoum state of Sudan issued a warning notice to demolish the Christ church in Alhaj-Yousif neighborhood of Khartoum North within one week under reasons of illegal building/structure.
The targeted church is the Christ church in Alhaj-Yousif neighborhood of Khartoum North. The church was built on this land in 1976 where more than three hundred followers had been gathering to fellowship/worship regularly since then.
On 1st August 2016, the Sudanese Christ church authorities received a resolution letter from land authorities in Khartoum state of Sudan warning them that the church will be demolished and they were given one week to evacuate the church, otherwise further legal procedures will be taken and the church will pay the demolishing cost.
HUDO Centre is seriously concerned about violating the constitutional rights of Christians and their churches.
- HUDO Centre Calls on the authorities to offer alternative land to the church and give enough time (grace period) for building another church before demolishing the existing one.
- We call upon to the embassies in Sudan to urge Sudan government to stop demolishing and targeting churches without fulfilling the alternative conditions.
- We appeal to the international institutions and organizations to put more pressure on Sudan government in order to stop targeting Christians and churches.
Since the cessation of South Sudan in 2011, Sudan government conducted a series of church demolitions, for examples;
- On 1st July 2015, Khartoum North Anglican church was partially demolished by police.
- On 21st Oct. 2015, Althawra’s (square 29) Church at Omdurman of Khartoum state was demolished by the land authorities supported by security forces and they used excessive power and teargas against the church’s followers.
- On 28th Oct. 2015, Althawra’s (square 61) Church at Omdurman of Khartoum state was demolished by the land authorities supported by security agencies. They demolished and destroyed all the church’s furniture and holy/ sacred belongings that were in.
For accessing the official warning notice, please visit