Date: 30 June 2016
THE ARREST OF THREE PEOPLE INCLUDING AN ELDERLY MAN IN
On 15th June 2016, an elderly man Hamid Taweer together with Ibrahim Kalaka and Muamar Elsaeed were arrested by MI and detained at MI premises in Al Abbasiya. Their family members were not allowed to visit them. All of them are suspected to be facing ill-treatment.
Hamid Ibrahim Taweer, 73 years old, is a retired civil servant, Ibrahim Adam Kalaka, 52 years old, engineer and Muamar Elsaeed Agoumy, 37 years old, is self-employee.
The three were arrested by Sudanese Military Intelligence (MI) through a raid operation to the house of Abakar Belo at Alomda Neighborhood in Al Abbasiya of South Kordufan. They were taken by MI to their military base and their access to visitors is denied. HUDO got information from reliable source that, the MI started interrogating them on 25th June 2016 about Adam’s case.
The three detainees were with others including Tegali community leader Ahamed Elmansour Geiley, they were in delegation represented the tribe of the accused person Adam Essa Agoumy who was sentenced to death. This visit was meant to perform/conduct the known agreement (Rakuba) since Abakar Belo is the brother of the murdered person who was killed. At the time of arrest, the rest of the people had gone while the three were remained for discussing the details.
According to the tribal arrangement which is stated as customary law, there is an agreement between some tribes known as (Rakoba). This arrangement/Rakoba settles conflicts among them and they have certain judgments ranging from compensation to forgiveness in cases like murder. This Rakoba can be considered before or after the court judgments and it’s recognized by the Sudanese courts of law in order to sustain peace among tribes.
HUDO urge you to;
- Call on the authorities to unconditionally release the three detainees, elderly Taweer, Kalaka, and Muamar.
- Urge authorities to ensure that all of them are not subjected to torture or any ill-treatment and to allow their family visits and contact their lawyers.
- To stop or prevent the implementation of the court sentencing people to death like the case of Adam Essa Agoumy and consider peace among tribes.
- On Feb. 2nd 2015, a group of Military Intelligence (MI) soldiers from Al Abbasiya town arrested Adam Essa Agoumy, 35 years, who is a member of SPLM-N. A criminal case was filed against him, accusing him under article (130) Intentional murder according to Sudan criminal Act 1991. They accused him that he killed a civilian at Moreib village in 2011. The defendant’s lawyer objected the accusation. However, the procedures/trial seemed to be unfair since the Judge did not give the defendant’s lawyer enough time for his defense argument, he also refused to hear any testimony from the defendant’s witnesses. On August 2015, the defendant was charged and sentenced to death. Days after, his lawyer killed in a suspicious criminal incident. Up to date no appeal was done on Adam’s case and the appeal constituted period is over.
- The defendant is from Tagali/ Nuba tribe and the killed person from Falata tribe. The two tribes have customary law (Rakoba) through which murder cases are settled for reconciliation purposes. The Falata person was previously forgiven by Tagali people and now the Tagali are seeking for pardon from Falata also.