Update (13) COURT TRIAL OF NISS/SUDAN AGAINST PASTORS AND ACTIVIST
The fifteenth (15th) court hearing was held on 12th December 2016. The session was before Justice Dr. Osama M. Abdalla at Khartoum Centre court and all parties were present. During this session, two accusation witnesses delivered their testimonies and were questioned by both lawyers’ panels as well as the judge. The judge adjourned court to 19th December 2016.
Summary of the court session
The court session started at 12:50 pm and the main activity was testimony by the second and third accusing witnesses.
The Testimony of the Second witness
The second witness was the burnt student Ali Omer Musa, 21 years, student at Omdurman Islamic University. He delivered his testimony and was questioned by the accusation panel, the defendants’ panel and the judge.
- He was burnt by Molotov at Al-Azhari University from unknown person; the case was filed against anonymous perpetrator.
- I’m a Muslim and I was informed by NISS that, people said that I’m a Christian.
- The first defendant (Peter) took a photograph of me with a reason of showing the picture to the doctors in order to carry out the plastic surgery.
- The third defendant (Moneim) and my brother Jamal were responsible for my treatment and collecting money.
- Moneim informed me that, Peter contributed fifteen thousand (15,000) Sudanese pounds.
- The second defendant (Hassan) visited me and contributed five thousand (5000) Sudanese pounds.
- He did not know that his photo was shown in the court before and he did not know that it was available on the internet. The first time he saw his picture was in NISS office.
- The witness and the third defendant were detained by NISS for six months.
The testimony of the third witness
The third witness was Eltahir Musa, a member/staff of NISS. He delivered his testimony and was questioned by the defendants’ panel.
- The third witness is one of NISS members who observed the first defendant and who arrested him.
- The third witness and the NISS representative as complainant (Abass) are from the same department/ Society Security Department.
- The photos which they found with the first defendant included other photos concerning other countries like China and Morocco.
- The third witness does not know that, VOM is a charity organization registered in the USA and he does not know its objectives.
- The third witness knows that there are churches which were demolished but, he said that; they were demolished by Land authorities among other unplanned buildings.
- He does not know that the said church existed since 1983.
- He agreed that, it’s written in the receipt of the paid money “for treatment of Ali Omer”.
At 03:00 pm the judge adjourned court to 19th December 2016 for further hearing of the testimonies of accusation witnesses.
- The first defendant’s lawyer did not ask the second witness and he was satisfied by the testimony.
- The third witness confirmed that, there is another case under preparation by NISS against the second defendant.
HUDO urges all the concerned, especially:
- The Sudan court to conduct this trial fairly.
- The diplomatic missions and embassies to continue attending the court sessions.
- The activists and defendants’ supporters to keep on attending the trial.
- The Sudan and international media to give more coverage for the court.
For any further information please write to (firstname.lastname@example.org