Update (6) COURT TRIAL OF NISS/SUDAN AGAINST PASTORS AND ACTIVIST
The seventh (7th) court proceedings started at 12:45 pm on 26thSeptember 2016 and the hearing was before Justice Dr. Osama M. Abdalla, with the presence of all parties. The prosecutor displayed a video concerning the first defendant. The judge ended the session at 01:55 pm and adjourned court to 10th and 17th October 2016.
Summary of the court session
The session was presided over by Justice Dr. Osama M. Abdalla at Khartoum Centre Court. In attendance were the prosecutor/ investigator, complainant, the defendants and their lawyers as well as the translator. The fourth defendant’s lawyer was absent and another lawyer by name of Abdalla Hussein introduced himself as a substitute of the absent lawyer (Saleh Mahmoud) yet there was alternative lawyer (Shawgei Yagoub) representing the absent one. The judge requested both lawyers to first resolve the confusion with the defendant and the authorized lawyer.
The investigator counsel/ Abdurrahman displayed the video and the translator gave an interpretation to it. The video according to the investigator was found in the first defendant’s laptop. The prosecutor added that “PPF organization alleged that, Sudan government is violating the rights of South Kordufan people”. The video showed the first defendant with other three people in a car (the investigator said one of those three is a resident of Buram locality in South Kordufan and the other two were PPF members by names of Steve and Marshance). The video was taken in Buram locality at SPLA-N controlled area and the resident was explaining to them how the aerial bombardments killed, injured and damaged their property and how most of the people were displaced as a result of bombs. In the same video the Buram locality governor/ Abdulbagi Garfa was explaining the same matter accusing Sudan government.
At 01:55 pm the judge ordered the investigator to stop displaying the video and prepare a summary to be displayed on 10th October 2016 and for the translator to submit a written translation of the same by 17th October 2016. The judge adjourned the session to 10th and 17th October 2016 respectively.
- The video shows the damages on houses and service buildings in Buram.
- The locality governor Abdulbagi Garfa was SPLA-N member and currently he is in Khartoum since 2014 when he fled SPLA-N controlled area under internal agreement with Khartoum government.
- One of the defendants’ lawyers objected the intervention by investigator to direct the translator.
- HUDO urges the Sudan court to conduct this trial fairly.
- HUDO urge all the diplomatic missions and embassies to continue attending the court sessions.
- HUDO calls upon the activists and defendants’ supporters to keep on attending the trial.
For any further information please write to